Wednesday, January 13, 2010

St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 1998

What a pleasant surprise this wine was last night! I simply wanted a glass of red wine to accompany my pork chops, with roasted smashed potatoes and roasted fennel. I pulled the bottle of St. Supery 1998 with little hope and no expectations. The cork was a bit dry but then again my storage my fault. I must have had this Cabernet since its original release day. So far it has traveled with me to four apartments and was not always stored under the best conditions.

 

 

This 1998 Cabernet has a deep garnet color, with flecks of orange hues, showing its maturity. On the palate the wine is elegant:  with dry currants, plum and forest berries; then, a hint of leather, licorice and coffee. Nice acidity and yes, still firm tannins on the finish.

 

Lesson learned today: Never underestimate the power of a well-made wine.

 

Cheers

Costas

 

Tasted: January 12, 2010

 

No comments: